Offset Printing Explained
Most commonly used method of printing where images on a plate are “offset” onto rubber blanket cylinders which transfers the image to a sheet of paper. The advantages of offset printing over digital printing are:
- More cost effective for high quantities
- Tighter registration between colors on the press
- Wider variety of materials and paper can be printed on.
- Usually requires more time to set up the the job, as plates need to be made
- There is usually more waste with offset printing, as the press operator sometimes will use more paper on what as known as "make-ready," which is the process of setting the ink fountains up.